Australians for Mussalaha (Reconciliation) in Syria
While the British government considers military intervention in Syria and as foreign jihadists and mercenaries continue to cross the border into Syria, a Syrian reconciliation and peace process supported by the international community is urgent.
AMRIS is part of ISTEAMS, the International Support Team for the Mussalaha (reconciliation) initiative in Syria.
It brings together Australians from different faiths and allegiances.
AMRIS is working to promote the 10 Points Towards Reconciliation and Peace described by Mother Agnes Mariam, the Carmelite nun from Homs, on her visit to Australia in October 2012.
TEN POINTS TOWARDS RECONCILIATION AND PEACE
- Support conflict resolution through negotiation and implementation of a democratic process.
- Stop the flow of weapons to Syria.
- Stigmatize the war methods that are against the Geneva Convention.
- Restrain interference from abroad in the Syrian conflict.
- Furnish honest information about the Syrian conflict.
- Support new political parties that are proliferating and giving new shape to the Syrian political landscape.
- Stop the sanctions, which are harming only the civilian population.
- Fairly distribute humanitarian aid.
- Appeal for impartiality among the diverse NGOs working in the Syrian conflict.
- Support a new state that will guarantee equality of citizenship and religious freedom to any religious and ethnic group.
The destruction of utilities and services together with sanctions are causing immense suffering, particularly with the onset of winter.
The hopes of the next generation of Syrians are being destroyed. Syria’s ancient cultural and spiritual heritage of inestimable value to humanity is threatened.
AMRIS responds with clarity and activism to the violence and extreme hardship being endured by the Syrian people.
AMRIS urges Australians to take action to support peace and relieve suffering.
ISTEAMS International Coordinator: Mother Agnes Mariam of the Cross
Email: “Agnès-Mariam de la Croix higoumène” <email@example.com>,